Since I already put this together for a mock draft pool with some friends (including @eswickenheiser), I figured I might as well post it. A few notes:
- I’m not trying to project trades, as it could get really insane with the rookie wage scale, so I’m simply trying to match player to slot.
- I’m not going to provide an explanation for each pick, so I will simply try and give you my over-arching rationale: 99% of the information that has come out in the last few days (Kalil falling, the Vikings preferring Claiborne, the Jets trying to trade up for Richardson) is misinformation and I will not fall for it. I might be wrong here or there because of it, but I’m confident that if I ignore the last 48 hours of information I will come out ahead.
- I put stock in a front office’s drafting history above all else.
- I’ve been doing this for about five years, and even though it sounds like it would be easy, sitting down to make picks and then watching the draft makes you realize how hard it is. If I get 10 picks right, I will be real pleased.
With that, I present the first (public) Merl Mock:
(1) Colts: Andrew Luck QB
(2) Redskins: Robert Griffin III – QB
(3) Vikings: Matt Kalil – OT
(4) Browns: Trent Richardson – RB
(5) Bucs: Morris Claiborne – CB
(6) Rams: Justin Blackmon – WR
(7) Jaguars: Melvin Ingram – DE
(8) Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill – QB
(9) Panthers: Luke Kuechly – ILB
(10) Bills: Stephon Gilmore – CB
(11) Chiefs: David DeCastro – OG
(12) Seahawks: Quinton Coples – DE
(13) Cardinals: Michael Floyd – WR
(14) Cowboys: Mark Barron – S
(15) Eagles: Fletcher Cox – DT
(16) Jets: Courtney Upshaw – DE
(17) Bengals: Dre Kirkpatrick – CB
(18) Chargers: Riley Reiff – OT
(19) Bears: Whitney Mercilus – DE
(20) Titans: Dontari Poe – DT
(21) Bengals: Cordy Glenn – OT
(22) Browns: Kendall Wright – WR
(23) Lions: Jonathan Martin – OT
(24) Steelers: Dont’a Hightower – ILB
(25) Broncos: Michael Brockers – DT
(26) Texans: Chandler Jones – DE
(27) Patriots: Shea McClellin – OLB
(28) Packers: Jerel Worthy – DT
(29) Ravens: Peter Konz – C
(30) 49ers: Stephen Hill – WR
(31) Patriots: Janoris Jenkins – CB
(32) Giants: Mike Adams – OT
You can tweet me with comments, or simply just follow me @ImpeachCerrato.